Americans can travel to North Korea, if they should so choose to– but it would be a death wish, the U.S. State Department warned.
The Department of State last week issued a firm warning to people setting out for the reclusive nation, cautioning that anyone traveling to the unstable dictatorship should prepare for the possibility of not returning.
“The U.S. government is unable to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in North Korea as it does not have diplomatic or consular relations with North Korea,” the State Department published Wednesday on its website.
Those seeking to travel to North Korea must be allowed for a special validation, which are given out on “very limited circumstances.” U.S. tourists given the approval to experience Kim Jong Un’s regime should then prepare for the worst — including planning a will and addressing funeral and property arrangements with family and friends.
“Draft a will and designate appropriate insurance beneficiaries and/or power of attorney; discuss a plan with loved ones regarding care/custody of children, pets, property, belongings, non-liquid assets (collections, artwork, etc.), funeral wishes, etc.,” according to the recommendations.
The State Department also advised people to have a “contingency plan for emergency situations,” be updated on the State Department’s social media platform and alert methods.
President Trump announced in November the U.S. designation of North Korea as a state sponsor of terrorism, adding the country to a short list including Iran, Sudan and Syria. North Korea had been removed from the list by the Bush administration in 2008.
President Trump cited Kim’s “murderous” rogue regime and the death of American college student Otto Warmbier, who was jailed in North Korea for more than a year and died days after he returned to the U.S. in a coma, as reasons for the return to the list.
“North Korea has repeatedly supported acts of international terrorism including assassinations on foreign soil,” the president said. “This designation will impose further sanctions and penalties on North Korea and related persons.”
The State Department’s recent notice comes just weeks after Kim, while calling for enhanced relations with South Korea, intimidated a strike on the U.S. with nuclear warheads, insisting he had a button to fire nuclear weapons on his desk.
“The entire area of the U.S. mainland is within our nuclear strike range,” he said. “…The United States can never start a war against me and our country.”
Free speech is under attack. Share this article on Social Media by clicking the share button, do your part to keep independent journalism going.