As Christmas grows closer-- Beware of the danger that took this toddlers life

Kent Vice cared for his granddaughter when she was only weeks old. Brianna’s parents, Brian and Stephanie Florer, needed to return to work and left their baby in Grandpa’s capable hands.

Brianna Florer’s grandfather Kent Vice tells The Oklahoman that his granddaughter had not been feeling well for the past few days on Sunday, and had been registering a low-grade fever.

Watch: Man Walks Into Pawn Shop, Slaps “Most Dangerous Weapon in History” on Counter

The toddler’s parents, Brian and Stephanie Florer, called an ambulance when their daughter started throwing up blood and turned blue.

Little Brianna was rushed to a hospital in Tulsa where she immediately went into surgery, but she later died.

An x-ray revealed she had swallowed a small button battery.

Watch: Ellen to Megyn Kelly: Trump Too ‘Dangerous’ To Be On My Show —…

‘They operated on her for 2 hours, but they couldn’t stop the bleeding,’ he said. ‘They believed the battery ate through to her carotid artery by way of her esophagus.’

‘One minute she is perfect, and the next minute she is dead,’ Vice said. ‘We had no idea when she swallowed it (the battery).’

Vice says Brianna’s parents didn’t know how the toddler got the battery. Doctors believe the little girl ingested the object within six days of her death.

‘Hookers, lies and fraud’: Snopes ‘in danger of closing doors’

There were 11,940 cases of children swallowing batteries from 2005 to 2014, according to the National Capital Poison Center, and of those cases, only 15 children died.
Experts say that batteries will often pass out of the system before causing harm. Fatal cases occur when the battery gets stuck and secretes an alkaline substance.

As Christmas grows closer-- Beware of the danger that took this toddlers life

Every Christmas will be a bittersweet reminder of the happy bundle of energy that delighted in opening gifts and smiling at tree lights.

Christmastime includes finding fun, new toys under the tree.

But parents need to exercise a healthy degree of caution when it comes to the batteries in those toys. Keep loose batteries far away from children, or in Vice’s opinion, out of your household completely.

Fake News BuzzFeed Failing as Real News Becomes More Important — Trump Right Again

Flooded with emotion, Vice remembered the delightful little granddaughter he’d known since birth. “I took care of her — she was just an angel,” he expressed.

 

Text Example

Share this article on Social Media by clicking the share buttons on screen, support our independent journalism! Get the word out!