US special forces captures key militant in Benghazi attack
US captures key militant in Benghazi attack

American special operations forces captured a militant Sunday who was allegedly involved in the attack on a U.S. diplomatic compound and CIA annex in Benghazi, Libya.

US official identified the suspect as Mustafa al-Imam.

The attack resulted in the death of the American ambassador and three other Americans.

The White House is expected to release more details shortly.

The officials say U.S. commandos captured al-Imam in Libya and are transporting him back to the U.S. The officials say the mission was approved by PresidentTrump and carried out in coordination with Libya’s internationally recognized government.

The Associated Press first reported the capture.

The September 11, 2012 attack killed Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans: Sean Smith, an information management officer with the U.S. Foreign Service, and two former Navy SEALs, Glen Doherty and Tyrone S. Woods.

Earlier this month, the trial of Ahmed Abu Khattala began, the alleged mastermind of the 2012 attacks.  It’s not clear if the suspect detailed by US special operations forces is one of Khattala’s lieutenants.

(Related: Army Ranger and Benghazi Hero Kris Paronto DESTROYS JoyAnn Reid For Comparing Niger Attack to Benghazi)

Khatallah had been awaiting trail since 2014, when US Army commandos and FBI agents captured him in Benghazi and put him on a Navy ship for detention in an American prison inside the United States.

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson says the U.S. will “spare no effort to ensure that justice is served” to the militants who committed the 2012 attack on a U.S. diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya.

Tillerson is thanking U.S. military, law enforcement and intelligence officials for the capture of a man they’re describing as a key suspect in the deadly assault on the U.S. outpost. Chris Stevens, the U.S. ambassador to Libya, and three other Americans were killed.

Tillerson says he spoke with some family members of the four fallen Americans to “underscore the U.S. government’s unwavering support.”

President Donald Trump says a captured militant who was involved in the 2012 attack on a U.S. diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya, will “face justice” in the U.S.

(Related: Benghazi Hero Just Blasted Eminem’s Anti-Trump Rap — And He Just Destroyed Eminem)

Trump says he ordered the Special Forces operation that led to the capture of Mustafa al-Imam for his alleged role in the September 2012 attack that killed four Americans, including the U.S. ambassador to Libya. Trump says the “four brave Americans” were serving their country.

Although five years have passed since the fatal attack, Trump says “our memory is deep and our reach is long.”

He says the U.S. will not rest in its efforts to find and bring everyone who was involved in the attack to justice.

(Related: Federal judge orders State Dept. to search accounts for Clinton aides’ Benghazi emails)

A U.S. official has identified the militant it has captured in connection with the 2012 Benghazi attack as Mustafa al-Imam.

The official says American special operations forces captured al-Imam in Misrata, on the north coast of Libya.

The official says al-Imam was then taken to a U.S. Navy ship at the Misrata port for transport. He is being taken now to the United States.

(Related: Benghazi Contractors Told To Stay Quiet — Clinton State Department Pressured)

The official wasn’t authorized to speak publicly on the matter and demanded anonymity.