Evidence that Syria is “potentially” planning another round of chemical attacks has been found, the White House said in a statement released Monday night.
“The United States has identified potential preparations for another chemical weapons attack by the Assad regime that would likely result in the mass murder of civilians, including innocent children,” White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer said in a statement.
“The activities are similar to preparations the regime made before its April 4, 2017 chemical weapons attack,” the statement went on to say.
“As we have previously stated, the United States is in Syria to eliminate the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria. If, however, Mr. Assad conducts another mass murder attack using chemical weapons, he and his military will pay a heavy price.”
In April, the U.S. launched a series of cruise missiles at a Syrian airfield in response to a chemical weapons attack that had killed dozens of civilians.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.