CNN has had to issue a correction to an article titled “Comey expected to refute Trump” which quoted an ‘anonymous source’ as stating that the former FBI director would be delivering a statement before the House Intelligence Committee on Thursday that would disprove allegations made by Trump.
According to Erik Wemple with The Washington Post, a key part of the story stated, “Trump has made a blanket claim that Comey told him multiple times that he was not under investigation. But one source said Comey is expected to explain to senators that those were much more nuanced conversations from which Trump concluded that he was not under investigation.”
Wemple goes on to state that, “on CNN’s air, analyst Gloria Borger put matters more starkly, saying, “Comey is going to dispute the president on this point if he’s asked about it by senators, and we have to assume that he will be. He will say he never assured Donald Trump that he was not under investigation, that that would have been improper for him to do so.”
In contrast, when Comey released his prepared statement earlier this afternoon, it stated – in no uncertain terms – that the former FBI director did assure Trump he was not under investigation, three times.
As The Washington Examiner reports, Comey first told Trump this on his own accord following a one-on-one briefing with the President on January 6.
Comey confirmed that Trump wasn’t under investigation during a private dinner with the President on January 27 and made the same statement during a March 30 phone call.
Although Comey does state that Trump pushed him to share that information with the public, the President does not appear to have coerced Comey into confirming that he is not under investigation.
Following the release of Comey’s statement, CNN has amended its story to read, “Comey unlikely to judge on obstruction.”
The article also now begins with this paragraph, which – interestingly enough – does not mention the anonymous source who reportedly told CNN about Comey’s alleged intent to contradict Trump.
CORRECTION AND UPDATE: This article was published before Comey released his prepared opening statement. The article and headline have been corrected to reflect that Comey does not directly dispute that Trump was told multiple times he was not under investigation in his prepared testimony released after this story was published.