Fox News host, and what some consider the last of the originals on fox, Sean Hannity announced Wednesday night that he will start his Memorial Day weekend early as rumors swirl about his future at the network.
“Uh oh My ANNUAL Memorial Day long weekend starts NOW. Destroy Trump/Conservative media breathless coverage starts! Did Hannity do last show?” the embattled Fox News host tweeted.
Uh oh My ANNUAL Memorial Day long weekend starts NOW. Destroy Trump/Conservative media breathless coverage starts! Did Hannity do last show?
— Sean Hannity (@seanhannity) May 25, 2017
“The Five” co-host Kimberly Guilfoyle said on-air Wednesday that she will fill in for Hannity Thursday and Friday, the Independent Journal Review reported. News of Hannity’s extended holiday weekend came just a day after Hannity tweeted about his “future at Fox.”
“Huge announcement tonight about Seth Rich, Trump/Russian Collusion corrupt media, the liberal effort to silence me. And my future at Fox!” Hannity said Tuesday in a tweet.
Huge announcement tonight about Seth Rich, Trump/Russian Collusion corrupt media, the liberal effort to silence me. And my future at Fox!
— Sean Hannity (@seanhannity) May 23, 2017
Hannity vowed earlier this week to get to the bottom of unconfirmed reports that Democratic National Committee staffer Seth Rich, who died in July 2016 after being shot in a Washington, D.C., neighborhood, had connections with the anti-government secrecy group WikiLeaks.
“Ok TO BE CLEAR, I am closer to the TRUTH than ever. Not only am I not stopping, I am working harder. Updates when available. Stay tuned!” Hannity tweeted Tuesday.
Ok TO BE CLEAR, I am closer to the TRUTH than ever. Not only am I not stopping, I am working harder. Updates when available. Stay tuned!
— Sean Hannity (@seanhannity) May 24, 2017
Fox News reported the alleged Rich-WikiLeaks connection last week, citing a federal investigator. But on Tuesday, the network retracted the story.
A statement on Fox News’ website explained why the article was removed:
On May 16, a story was posted on the Fox News website on the investigation into the 2016 murder of DNC Staffer Seth Rich. The article was not initially subjected to the high degree of editorial scrutiny we require for all our reporting. Upon appropriate review, the article was found not to meet those standards and has since been removed.
We will continue to investigate this story and will provide updates as warranted.
Hannity refused to take back what he said about Rich’s alleged connections to WikiLeaks and addressed the topic on his nationally syndicated radio show Tuesday.
“This issue is so big now. That the entire Russia-collusion narrative is hanging by a thread, if in fact — take Seth out of it — there was a whistleblower within the DNC, a truth-teller, that actually was the source for WikiLeaks and not Russia, working with the Trump campaign,” Hannity said.
“That, these are questions that I have a moral obligation to ask. And I will do the mainstream media’s job like I have most of my career. … And all you in the liberal media. I am not Fox.com, or FoxNews.com, I retracted nothing!” Hannity continued.
Seven of Hannity’s advertisers have now dropped their advertising from Hannity’s TV show as he continues peddling the unproven theory.
Minutes before his TV show aired Tuesday night, Hannity tweeted that there is “so much more I know than I can discuss at this time.”
One last point before air. I have so much more I know than I can discuss at this time. I CANNOT wait to share with all of u Please patience https://t.co/9OBfqUedWR
— Sean Hannity (@seanhannity) May 24, 2017
Hannity announced at the beginning of his show Tuesday that he would not discuss the topic “at this time,” citing Rich’s family’s request.
“[A]s a father when I saw the video of the parents online saying they want answers… it truly pained me,” Hannity said. “However, out of respect for the family’s wishes, for now, I am not discussing this matter at this time.”
The companies did not entirely withdraw advertisements from Fox News — only from Hannity’s show, which airs during the 1o p.m. Eastern hour.
Media outlets responded to Hannity taking a long weekend with headlines suggesting his future at the network may be in jeapordy.
“O’Reilly 2.0? Hannity to Take Two Nights Off Following Criticism Over Seth Rich Case,” a Mediaite headline read.
Uproxx ran the speculative headline, “Sean Hannity Will Take A Few Days Off, Coincidentally, After Multiple Advertisers Pull Out Of His Show.”
As recent history proved, advertisers that choose to withdraw their ads from specific shows can have an apparent impact the future of those programs. Fox News parted ways with Bill O’Reilly after numerous advertisers requested their commercials not air during O’Reilly’s show, “The O’Reilly Factor.”
O’Reilly’s ousting came on the heels of several women alleging the cable news host had sexually harassed them.
Hannity took aim Wednesday at some of his liberal opponents. The Fox News host suggested they were trying to “get me fired.”