Salman Abedi identified as Manchester terror attack suspect 2

British authorities identified on Tuesday the suicide bomber who purported the deadly attack at a Manchester Ariana Grande concert, hours after the Islamic State terror group claimed responsibility for the blast.

Salman Abedi, 22, was identified as the man who detonated an improvised explosive device at about 10:30 p.m. local time Monday, killing more than 20 people, some of them children, and injuring dozens more, Manchester police confirmed in a news conference on Tuesday. At least 12 children under the age of 16 were injured, emergency responders said. An 8-year-old girl was among the dead.

ISIS was celebrating the attack shortly after it happened, before staking claim to it.

  • Thousands gather in city centre’s Albert Square for vigil
  • Suspected bomber identified as 22-year-old Salman Abedi
  • Isil claims responsibility for suicide bombing in Manchester
  • Everything we know about bomb suspect Salman Abedi
  • Girl, eight, among 22 people killed as 59 also injured in attack
  • Theresa May: ‘Callous attack carried out with cold calculation’
  • Parents frantically search for missing after Ariana Grande gig
  • Police arrest 23-year-old man in South Manchester over attack
  • Blast is worst terror attack to hit Britain since July 2005 
  • Queen condemns ‘act of barbarity’ that has ‘shocked nation’
  • #RoomForManchester: Strangers open up homes to victims
  • Number for those concerned about missing:  0800 096 0095

A European security official told the Associated Press that Abedi was British. No additional details about Abedi were immediately available.

It was previously reported that Abedi was 23, but police clarified that another 23-year-old man was arrested. Two warrants have been issued at two separate residences. Officers used a police-controlled explosive device to gain entry into one home.

Ariana

ISIS claimed on Tuesday that “a soldier of the caliphate planted bombs in the middle of Crusaders gatherings” then detonated them, but Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats said that the U.S. had not yet verified that the terror group was responsible.

The explosion unfolded outside Manchester Arena as Grande’s concert was coming to a close. The pop star, who wasn’t injured, reportedly suspended her Dangerous Woman Tour following the attack. She wrote on Twitter, “broken. from the bottom of my heart, I am so so sorry. I don’t have words.”

Officials believe the device was packed with shrapnel, built to inflict as much human damage as possible, according to U.S. law enforcement sources. Manchester police said one of their priorities is to investigate whether the attacker acted alone or had some kind of support.

Politicians both at home and abroad condemned the attack. British Prime Minister Theresa May called the attack “appalling, sickening cowardice.”

Salman Abedi
Salman Abedi

“We struggle to comprehend the warped and twisted mind that sees a room packed with young children not as a scene to cherish but as an opportunity for carnage,” she said.

President Donald Trump slammed those responsible for the attack as “losers.”

“I won’t call them ‘monsters’ because they would like that term… I will call them, from now on, ‘losers’ because that’s what they are, they’re losers.”

Sky News, Fox, and The Associated Press Contributed to this report.